Monday, June 6, 2011

The Great(ish) Fiction Experiment: Week 2




The second week of my attempt to write my way out of my recent bout of writers' block has begun.



So far I've managed to stick to the self-imposed rules of my Great(ish) Writing Experiment, producing no less than 1,000 words a day (except Sunday, when I decided I needed a break). In truth, I have written some terrible rubbish in the last week, but the rules dictate quantity over quality and hopefully some odd phrases have managed to glitter among the dreck.



For those who want to keep count I have written just over seven and a half thousand words of this still-as-yet unnamed tale about the warrior Xlaxas Duv and his quest to find Death.



One of the strange things about it is that the story started off as one thing and has morphed itself into another. Initially, the whole thing was vaguely patterned after Clark Ashton Smith's The Seven Geases but has started to become a little more Moorcockian as it has progressed (Xlaxas Duv has acquired a piratical sidekick who is a sort of Moonglum to his Elric, for instance) possibly because I've just finished reading Stormbringer once again.



It's also become clear that what I thought was going to be a short story has begun to change itself into something much longer if not necessarily more complex.



Thankfully, this is not intended for publication of any sort but rather is to help me get to grips once again with the mechanics of writing and - maybe more importantly - the habit of writing.



I've found myself actually looking forward to sitting down at the keyboard again and even starting to connect with the characters (cardboard cutouts though they are) in a way that hasn't happened for a while.



I still don't know what will happen next, or even if this literary experiment will help to get my creative flow back on course, but so far its been a blast.



And I can't wait to find out what happens next.

1 comment:

  1. If you don't want to submit it how about posting it on your fiction blog once it's done?

    ReplyDelete