Friday, January 1, 2010

THE TOWER OF DREAMS AT ABANDONED TOWERS


“If there is one thing I learn from a life of magic it is never trust a hobgoblin.”

Just got word from Abandoned Towers that my short story The Tower of Dreams has been accepted for publication later this year (a decent enough start to 2010, says I).

I’m rather pleased about this for a number of reasons. Firstly, because Abandoned Towers is an excellent market and, secondly, because the story marks something of a departure for me in fictional terms.

I’ve long been a fan of the brilliant Damon Runyon and his stories of the colourful denizens of Broadway and equally I’ve always been a fan of Robert Bloch, who produced some of the finest genre fiction of the twentieth century. Bloch and Runyon had something of a collision in Bloch’s Lefty Feep stories, written when Bloch was suffering from a minor creative drought. Doggedly told in the first person present tense, the Left Feep stories are a hoot from start to finish and pay an affectionate homage to Runyon and his work.

The Tower of Dreams is my own homage to both Damon Runyan and Robert Bloch, working on the principle that if doing something very, very different could help to lift the great Robert Bloch out of a creative dip, then it might just do the very same for me.

The vast majority of my fictional output is somewhat gloomy, to say the least (strangely, since I am an optimistic and fairly upbeat person generally speaking) so the chance to do something a little lighter and (hopefully) funny, was a welcome change of pace.

I enjoyed writing it and, with a little luck, people may enjoy reading it, too.

Here’s to a creative and prosperous New Year to one and all.

http://cyberwizardproductions.com/AbandonedTowers/

No comments:

Post a Comment